By CALEIGH HALL
Taken from the Valentine’s Day Cooking Class at the Calphalon Culinary Center
Preparation Time ~ 25 minutes
Yield ~ 6 tartlets
Featured Cook Ware ~ Calphalon Mini Muffin Tin & 2 ½ Qt Sauce Pan w/ Double Boiler
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup finely ground almonds
- 1 ½ tbsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 oz. cold butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp. cold water
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. cold butter
- Blueberries or raspberries, for garnish
- For crust, in a small bowl sift flour, sugar and salt. Pinch in cold butter until crumbly.
- Add yolk, water and lemon juice. Mix with fork until just combined.
- Wrap and chill.
- Roll out chilled dough and cut with cutters. Line a muffin tin and chill again.
- Weight crusts and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 10 – 12 minutes or until a lightly crisp to the touch. Remove weights and continue to cook for another 10 minutes or until fully baked. Remove and cool.
- For lemon curd, place a Calphalon One 2 ½-qt. sauce pan filled with 2” water on the stove to a simmer over low heat.
- In a Calphalon One double boiler insert, add the eggs, sugar, zest, and lemon juice; whisk until foamy.
- Place double boiler insert over simmering water to create a ‘bain-marie’; continue to whisk until ribbon stage or pale and quite thick. Immediately remove from heat and whisk in the butter to incorporate. Let cool; chill in refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, carefully remove crusts from muffin tin and place a dollop of the lemon curd in the well in the middle. Garnish each with a few berries and serve.