By JUSTINE FROSTAD
Is there anything more comforting than a home-cooked meal? Well I think this is a meal that both Mad Men and women would be happy to come home to.
“En papillote,” is a French culinary term that literally translates to “in parchment.” Basically, you make a pouch using parchment paper or aluminum foil, and you can cook almost anything inside – chicken, fish, or veggies. In this case, I used aluminum foil and baked the chicken in the oven, but you can definitely throw it on the grill.
I was extremely happy with how this meal turned out! It was full of flavor, and despite the cream sauce, it didn’t feel like a heavy dish since the chicken was paired with veggies. Also, talk about simple! Once you prepare the sauce and place the chicken in the oven you are basically finished, which leaves you time to set the table, make a cocktail (Cable Car anyone?) or perhaps just put your feet up and take a minute for yourself, while you wait for your dinner guests.
Delicious, effortless and presents like a dish you slaved over . . . I think it’s safe to say this is a meal Joanie, Betty, and the other Mad women would be proud to plate! ~ Serves 4 ~
Ingredients (Chicken En Papillote)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cup light cream
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large chicken breasts, de-boned
- 12-20 small mushroom caps, washed
- *aluminum foil or parchment paper
Directions (Chicken En Papillote)
- Tear off four pieces of heavy foil, approximately 10 inches. Cut each piece into a large heart.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°
- Let’s get saucy ~ Start by cooking the green onions on medium heat in the butter until wilted. Add the flour to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes. Next, add the cream and white wine, sun dried tomatoes, as well as the salt, pepper and thyme. Continue to cook, stirring every so often until thick.
- Pause ~ Take a minute to smell the delicious sauce you’ve made, and get excited for this chicken because it’s tasty!!!
- Lightly butter, or spray the inside of each piece of foil with cooking spray. Place a chicken breast on one half and top each with a few mushroom caps, as well as a heap of sauce (as much sauce as desired). Fold the other half of the foil over and seal the edges tightly.
- Arrange the foil packages on a cookie sheet and bake for about 40 minutes (if you have thick chicken breasts). If yours are thinner or if you are cooking fish, 20-30 minutes could very well do the trick.
- I unpacked my chicken for plating and served alongside the green beans, but you can certainly serve it in the foil/parchment paper for an added effect.
Ingredients (Green Beans)
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions (Green Beans)
- Set a steamer basket into a large saucepan and fill with water until it reaches just below the steamer. Bring the water to a boil and add the green beans. Steam for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked beans to a serving bowl and toss with olive oil, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Serve alongside chicken.